Tuva Sundström

Hi, I'm Tuva. Reading and writing is what I love to do and I want to be able to do that in more languages! I’m learning Korean at the moment and hopefully I can both read and write in Korean!

Reasons why language is power

I read this article about why language is power and I though I’d share it with you.
For me language has a HUGE power. You can reach so many more people if you learn a second language (or more). And I have met some incredible people that I never would have met without another language in my bag and I will forever be grateful for it. 

What is the power of language for you?

/ Tuva
Like Comment

You can and you will

I just started my last year at university last week and I am already so overwhelmed with everything. SO much is going on at once and my brain just kind of want to take a step back, but at the same time I don’t want to do that.

Every time I take a step back from my language learning, it can go from a week long break to a 3 months long break in the blink of an eye. And I do not want that to happen again. 

And then I stumbled across this video and it strangely gave me a lot to motivation to continue and enjoy the process of learning. Even if I take a week long break, I still have the motivation to get back after that. So I just wanted to share it with you, in case it could give you something.

/Tuva
Like Comment

When do you stop learning a language?

I thought about this the other day, when do you stop learning a language? Well, maybe stop learning is the wrong way to put it, but I am not sure how else to say it. I feel like I stopped “learning” English a couple of years ago without realizing it. I am at a point where I don’t know how to keep going. I don’t know how to get better or if I should. I don’t want to say that I know everything I want to, but I don’t know what to learn anymore.

I guess I am so comfortable in English that it kind of is like second nature to me at this point. I use it every day, on my own, with people, for school, and so on. But I feel lost. I don’t know what I don’t know anymore. I mean I make mistakes every single day, but to just focus on my small mistakes everyday won’t get me anywhere new. 

Have you felt like this? What did you do? Any tips on how I should continue?

/Tuva
Like Comment

Currently reading

I am using Webtoons right now to practice my reading in Korean. I find it very helpful with all of the pictures because as of right now my vocabulary is very small. And because of the pictures I can understand the overall story without the need to look up every word I don’t understand.

I would love to make my own Webtoon in Korean one day, sadly I cannot draw to save my life. But if I want it enough I will find a way xD

Have any of you used Webtoons before or something similar? If so, do you have any tips on how to transition from the picture driven stories to like a read driven book?

/ Tuva 
Like Comment

Day 4: Struggles struggles

I have always had a hard time talking about my struggles and asking for help. Like I said in my introduction and have said in other posts as well, I have dyslexia, and that did not help with my struggles. 

I truly think that my fears of asking for help and struggling with things comes from my dyslexia. I got special treatment when teachers graded anything I did because of it. And I think that the fact that I wasn’t as good as everybody else just got stuck in my head. 

That led to me not asking for help and not understanding what was going on. So when I didn’t get the help I needed and failed because of it, I blamed myself. I now know that I can do everything just as good as anyone, but asking for help and being vulnerable is still really hard for me.

Other than that I have a hard time to stay motivated. I love plans and schedules so now after phase 1 I feel way more calm about being able to do what I want. I think it’s gonna be easier to stay motivated now that I feel like getting to my goal is something I can do! 

/ Tuva
Like Comment

Day 2: This is me

Hi, my name is Tuva and I am a 20-year-old university student from Sweden. I am mainly studying Korean as a beginner right now. I guess I am studying English too but I don’t do that actively. 

Reading and writing is what I love to do and live for. I am studying to become a screenwriter so hopefully I can fulfill my dreams of becoming an author at some point in my life. 

I grew up having a hard time learning languages but that have never stopped me. If I can become an author with dyslexia nothing can stop me. I can do everything I want. 

This is a little about me. I hope all of you have a good day! 
/Tuva
Like Comment

A road map of culture

I came across this picture and it made me smile, because I can relate to it so much! The reason I started to learn Korean was because I fell in love with the culture. I don’t think that you can truly understand a language unless you know the culture of the language you are studying.

You can understand so much about a country and the language if you look into the culture. I must admit, I am not the best at finding new things about the Korean culture but I try, and a little goes a long way. The thing I love about culture is comparing it to my own. At this point in my life I have not traveled as much as I want to but I still find new differences between cultures and it is so fascinating.

How did you become interested in the language that you are learning?

/ Tuva
Like Comment

Failure and mistakes

I had a conversation with a friend of mine today about why we are so afraid of failure and making mistakes. In the end of our conversation we agreed on one thing, we blame our schools. The older I got, the better my schools became at letting me know that mistakes are good, mistakes are welcome. Even though I am grateful that my 19-year-old self heard that the first day of university, my 14-year-old self needed to hear that so much more. My 20-year-old self still needs a reminder from time to time and I probably will need that for a long long time.

Making mistakes and failure have always been extra hard for me and I think it always will be. But it is okay, and I need to keep reminding myself of that. My friend and I watched this video so I thought I’d share it with you in case you need to hear what we did:  https://youtu.be/pwnWFNoe7Pw

/ Tuva
Like Comment
For me a routine and a structure is one of the best things in every aspect of life. Without it I feel like nothing makes sense. When it comes to school I love to study and I think one reason behind that, is because I usually have a routine and a structure for what I am supposed to be doing.

So because of it, I’ve always needed somewhat of a structure when studying anything, without it I have no idea what to do. I think that I just found a website that’s gonna help me a lot with that. I’ve just started to use Coursera ( https://www.coursera.org/ ) for my Korean and I think that I’m going to love it, like a lot! 

I’ve started a 5 week course that have lessons, worksheets and quizzes after every unit and a deadline when things are due. The units are structured so that you need at least 70/80% on your quizzes to continue (At least on the one I’m using on the free version) and I think this is exactly what I need to get a good routine going right now.

I’ll write what my thoughts are on it when my course is over. Have any of you used it before? If so, what are your thought?
/ Tuva
Like Comment